Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tomb of Horrors - 4e (Areas 1 & 2)

Greetings, Kids!

If you'll remember a few weeks back, I posted my desire to retool the famous (infamous?) module by Mr. Gygax himself, The Tomb of Horrors.

Admittedly, it's a daunting task, because a number of rules changes have occurred since the module was first written.  In addition, Wizards of the Coast is planning on launching their own retooling of this classic.  However, after looking at the blurb for the product, I think they are going to try and treat the adventure as a mini-campaign setting (I have no evidence to support that idea, but that's how I interpreted it). 

I'm not going that route.  Instead, my intent is to try and do the best I can to remain faithful to the module as it was originally written - deadly, confusing, and occasionally unfathomable.

To that end, the first encounter (areas 1 and 2 on the original key) is complete.  You can find that link here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31336546/ToHEnc01-02

I'll also post that link into my publications page so you can find it there as well.

Now the hard part.

I'm interested in feedback.  Let me know what you think.  No guarantees I'll agree with your assessment, but I'm interested in making this as cool as possible.  Also, if there's any advice out there on better fonts, templates, or other design elements of the documents themselves, I'd be interested in that as well. 

Also, as the spring and summer continue, I'll be doing 3-D builds of these encounters using Hirstarts blocks, so look forward to that.

Until next time...

Game excellently with one another.

4 comments:

  1. greywulf3:16 PM

    Love this so far. Hope you're going to collate it all together - probably in a few years' time :D

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.M Walker3:52 PM

    @greywulf Thanks, man! The plan is to hopefully be completed in a year's time (for the 4e descriptions). The 3-D build will probably take 2 years. Who knows? If it's liked enough, maybe they'll let me display the whole thing at GenCon in 2012. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dwashba7:39 PM

    so what level characters are supposed to be doing this around 11 or 12?

    ReplyDelete
  4. R.M. Walker9:36 PM

    @ dwashba. The conversion is tricky, but I'm going to recommend this adventure for 5 12th level heroes. It is my intention that about 1/2 way through the adventure, the heroes will level to 13th.

    ReplyDelete