Tuesday, August 23, 2011

True Dungeon Tokens - Repurposed

So it seems the one big event that I missed at this year's GenCon, was a little thing called True Dungeon. I'll let you read the details at the link. When you're done (if you don't get hooked), come back here a bit.

Welcome back! As you can see, True Dungeon is a pretty elaborate game. It looks like a blast, and I think I've finally decided that the price of admission is worth giving it a try. My wife has seen it in action as well, and just might join me in a round next year at GenCon.

However, playing True Dungeon isn't what this post is really about.

Some of the more conspicuous elements of True Dungeon are the elegantly crafted tokens you receive when you play the game. These tokens represent various items your character can carry. There are ordinary items, like torches or flasks, and there are magical items as well. Some of these items even have a rarity value assigned them. For GenCon this year (and they've probably done it in the past as well), the True Dungeon folks provided a coupon that allowed anyone to get a sample pack of 10 tokens. In addition, the SWAG bags provided by GenCon each contained one token as well. After trading in my coupon, (and liberating the other tokens from my wife's and youngest son's SWAG bags), I had a dozen tokens to play with. I would have had 32 tokens to play with, but my wife & son were too slow getting to the booth before they sold out (I'm not bitter about this at all).

So what to do with these tokens? I wasn't actually playing True Dungeon this year, and I didn't want to throw them away. I learned quickly that many folks auction their tokens off on E-Bay (apparently, there's quite a demand). I really didn't want to bother with that, so instead I tried to think of a way to incorporate them in the 4e D&D games I run.

I know...sounds crazy, right? Well, I thought the tokens might be a neat way to add some Rule of Cool to my game. I came up with a new mechanic. Each time a character scores a critical hit on a creature, the player gets to pull a token from the chest. Each token has a specific power that can be utilized as a Standard Action, but only once per encounter. The tokens can be held indefinitely, and are "re-shuffled" into the chest when used. To determine what tokens have what effect, I came up with a little chart:

Torch - Automatically set fire to 1 ignitable OR Next attack does ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

Ring of Stunning Fist - Push a man-sized creature or object up to 6 squares OR Next attack stuns enemy (save ends).

Dirk - Add +5 to your next Thievery check OR Next attack does ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).


Scroll of Shock Bolt - Add +5 to your next Ritual skill check OR Next attack does ongoing 5 lightning damage (save ends).

Treasure Map Fragment - Next treasure parcel discovered is 10% more valuable than originally indicated.

Wand of Shock - Your next wand attack automatically scores a critical hit against your enemy OR Next attack (any) does ongoing 5 lightning damage (save ends).

Pewter Flask - Add +5 to your next Endurance skill check. OR Add +5 to your next Diplomacy skill check.

Gold Earring - Automatically barter for any item valued at 100 GP or less OR Add +5 to your next Diplomacy skill check.


Nixie Leather Armor - Add +2 to all of your defenses for the remainder of the encounter OR Breath underwater for up to 1 hour.

Cask of Rum - As Pewter Flask except for up to 10 people OR Create bomb blast (Burst 10, 3d6+16 damage, effects all creatues in range).

Boarding Axe - Automatically break through 1 door OR Next attack automatically scores a critical hit against your enemy.


Wooden Oar - Automatically cross one body of water less than 12 squares wide OR Add +5 to your next Nature skill check.

I did have to add one additional rule. If a token allows you to automatically score a critical hit against an enemy, you do not get to draw an additional token from the chest. Only "natural" critical hits are eligible for tokens.

Obviously, as I add more tokens to my collection (True Dungeon sells them on their website), additional effects will be added. In addition, the effects I listed above are just some of the ideas I came up with. For example, you might want the torch to have a lighting effect, instead of a fire effect. Go with what you feel is most appropriate to your game.

And of course, don't forget. Make sure you gather your tokens for the next time you have the opportunity to play True Dungeon.

Until next time...

Game excellently with one another.




1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:50 PM

    I like this. A lot. I'll probably tweak it a bit, though. Players already get rewarded for crits and it's a random thing they have no power over. Will have to think of something else to reward.

    I'm hesitant to use it with my current game, though, as I'm already using Paizo's Plot Twist cards which give players options to affect stuff in play and they get decision paralysis over their paragon tier powers enough as it is. Adding more options would probably mean I'd need to also invest in a sand timer to keep things moving.

    Still a fun idea, though, and a good way to keep my True Dungeon tiles from just gathering dust for 364 days out of the year. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete